Personally, this is one of my favourite recipes to make when I’m at home. The reason I don’t make these more often is because the list of ingredients seems never-ending, which is not exactly ideal when you’re a student on a budget. For some reason, at home we typically have most of these things on hand (why? I couldn’t tell you), so it obviously makes it a lot simpler to put together. I like these a lot because they’re pretty healthy (they can also be made gluten-free) but are still really yummy!
~Turkey/Chicken Lettuce Wraps~
- 1 lb Ground chicken or turkey
- 1 Large onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp Chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp Low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp Chopped ginger
- 1 Tbsp Seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Asian chili pepper sauce
- 1 Can chopped water chestnuts
- 1 Bunch of chopped spring onions.
- 2 tsp Sesame seed oil
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp Sesame seed oil
- 1 Tbsp Hot mustard
- 2 tsp Hot water
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- 2 tsp Red chili paste
- Brown chicken with a little oil in the pan. Then add onion,garlic,soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar and chili sauce. Cook until meat is crumbly and brown. Add water chestnuts and green onion. Cook couple of mins. Stir in sesame oil. Serve in lettuce wraps with special sauce.
- Special sauce Add water, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, Lemon juice, and sesame seed oil together and mix. Original recipe calls for 1/4 cup of sugar but we found it too sweet. Mix hot mustard, water and garlic and chili paste together. When ready to serve mix the 2 sauces together. Serve yum.
Notes: Can also be made ahead of time and stored in an air tight container.